Motorcycle road trips around Africa are always fun! A friend and I embarked on a journey to Tanzania via the Namanga border. Before the trip, we had everything in check and ready to go the previous day.
Pre-Ride Preparation: The Checklist for Thrills
- Thorough Servicing: Ensuring Peak Performance
- TCLOCKS: Tires, Controls, Lights, Oil, Chassis, Kickstand, Sidestand
- Ample Fuel Supply: A Journey Without Hiccups
- Valid Motorcycle Insurance: A Safety Net on the Open Road
- Essential Toolkit: Mechanic-in-a-Box
- Valid Driver's License: The Key to the Journey
- Motorcycle Logbook: Proving Ownership
- Insurance Cover: Riding Legally and Safely
- Travel Passport: Crossing Borders with Ease
- Yellow Fever Card: Health Safety on International Roads
- Full Motorcycle Gear: Safety First, Always
- First Aid Kit: Preparedness for the Unexpected
- Spare Clothes: Comfort and Versatility
- Go-Pro Camera: Capturing Every Moment
- Wet Wipes: Cleanliness on the Go
- Energizing Snacks: Fuel for the Adventure
- Selfie Stick: Documenting the Expedition
- Wallet and Plastic Money: Financial Freedom Away from Home
Day 1: Nairobi to Namanga Border: Gearing Up for the Expedition
Setting off at 9 AM from Nairobi, accompanied by a friend till Athi-River, we were on our way to Tanzania via the Namanga border. Smooth traffic and ideal weather conditions allowed for a seamless ride. Arriving at the Namanga border around 2 PM, we connected with our contact who assisted with the cross-border documentation process.
Crossing into Tanzania: Requirements and Permits
- Kenyan Passport
- Valid Driving License
- Motorcycle Logbook (in the rider's name)
- Yellow Fever Card
- Motorcycle Insurance
- Optional Personal Medical Cover
Post-clearance, we continued to Arusha, reaching Green Mountain Hotel after a two-hour journey. With budget-friendly rates and excellent facilities, it was an ideal place to recharge.
Day 2: Arusha to Taveta: Exploring En Route
After thorough motorcycle checks, we hit Arusha's streets, refueled, and withdrew money for the road. Though the Arusha to Taveta distance is approximately 6 hours, our adventure stretched to 8 hours due to captivating detours. A visit to Light In Africa children’s home in Kilimanjaro left an indelible mark, inspiring a sense of volunteerism.
Day 3: Return Journey: Reflecting on an Incredible Expedition
Starting at 9 AM, our return to Nairobi was smooth until a low fuel indication emerged midway to Namanga. Maneuvering at 60 km/h for an hour, we made it to Namanga. Joined by fellow riders, we refueled, captured memories, and concluded the journey with a satisfying lunch.
Noteworthy Highlights of the Expedition
Best Road: Arusha – Namanga
- Clear, smooth stretches with minimal traffic and occasional curves for the ultimate riding experience.
Budget Accommodation: Green Mountain Hotel – Arusha
- Offering affordability without compromising comfort, starting at Kshs 2000/- per night with breakfast.
- Arusha National Park: Nature's Grandeur on Display
- Light in Africa Children’s Home – Moshi: Inspiring Change and Community
- Njiru Shopping Complex: Exploring Local Flavors and Culture
- Glimpse of Mt. Meru and Mt. Kilimanjaro: Majestic Peaks in Sight
- Arusha Clock Tower: A Symbol of the City's Vibrant Spirit
- Safari Makers: Adventure Awaits in the Wild
- Optimal Motorcycle Condition: Smooth Ride Guaranteed
- Respect Traffic Rules: Safety is Paramount
- Fuel Adequacy: Avoiding Unplanned Stops
- Safety First, Adventure Second: The Golden Rule of Riding
Embarking on this thrilling expedition from Nairobi to Arusha isn't just a journey; it's a transformational experience through breathtaking landscapes, heartwarming encounters, and personal growth. Prepare well, ride safe, and embrace the adventure!